top of page


If you are in a partnership with a New Zealand Resident or Citizen or with a migrant worker on a work visa or with a student on a student visa, there are a few visa options available for you.

Travelers in Nature
Travelers in Nature

INZ defines partnership as

Immigration New Zealand defines partnership as 2 people of the opposite or same sex, who live together in a genuine and stable relationship in any of the following:

  • a legal marriage

What it means to be in a partnership?

You must be able to show Immigration New Zealand that you and your partner are living together in a genuine and stable relationship before INZ can grant you a visa based on your partnership.

Genuine and Stable

Immigration New Zealand considers a partnership to be genuine and stable if they are satisfied that it:

  • is genuine, because it has been entered into with the intention of being maintained on a long-term and exclusive basis, and

  • ​is stable, because it is likely to endure.

Living together

Living together means sharing the same home as your partner.

This does not include:

  • spending time in each other’s homes while you each maintain your own home

  • sharing accommodation while on holiday

  • living as flatmates in the same house.

Happy Couple
bottom of page