top of page

Study and Training Visas

Students Sitting on Staircase

Student Visa

Subclass 500

With this visa, you can:

  • participate in an eligible course of study

  • bring family members to Australia with you

  • apply online in or outside Australia

  • work unlimited hours in any sector


This is a temporary visa to study for up to 5 years. The type of course and its length will determine the length of stay.

Primary school children enrolled in years 1-4 will generally only be granted a student visa for a maximum period of 3 years.  


You must

  • be enrolled in a course of study in Australia

  • hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the exemption categories

  • must be 6 years or older

  • prove you have a welfare arrangement if you are under 18

  • If in Australia hold an eligible substantive visa. See, ‘Have this Visa if applying while in Australia” in Eligibility Tab.

Student Guardian Visa

Subclass 590

With this visa, you can come to Australia to provide care and support for a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age or older due to exceptional circumstances.

This is a temporary visa. The length of your visa will be determined by the student visa holder’s stay and age.


You must:

  • be the student's parent, custodian, or relative who is 21 years or older.

  • have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay.

  • be able to provide accommodation, welfare, and other support.

Image by Lukas Godina
Image by Surface

Training Visa

Subclass 407

This visa allows you to take part in workplace-based occupational training activities to improve your skills for your job, area of tertiary study, field of expertise or in a professional development training program in Australia.

This is a temporary visa. We might grant you a visa allowing you to stay in Australia for up to 2 years.

You must:

  • be sponsored

  • be nominated (unless your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)

  • be invited (if your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)

bottom of page